FONTE GRANDE (BIG FOUNTAIN)
The pic_fonteFonte Grande is the greatest water supply system of the colonial Bahia, a notable example of the constructive technology of the period. Built in 1746, it provides the water captation and decantation of the volume proceeding from the water tables as well as the waters from the existing stream. The visit D.Pedro II and Marquesa de Santos they did to yielding stuff for rich filmografia about the period from the Fonte Grande, made its fame, generating material for rich filmography about that period of Brazilian history. The old village grew and surrounded the Fonte Grande, currently not as big as back then, especially compared to the surrounding inns and restaurants, but it’s still possible to hear the running waters from the road that leads to the beaches located on the other side of the island.
t’s said that when the Dutch almirant Pieter Pieterzoon Hiyn planned to attack the islandpic_igreja in 1628, the invasion did not consummate due to the vision of numerous troops in the island, a miracle of the saint padroeira do Morro de São Paulo, commemorated on the 08th of September. The first historical records register the existence of a chapel with the same name in the beginning of the XVII century, and in a map of 1759 João de Abreu e Carvalho describes it approximately located where the Lighthouse is today.
The actual N. Sra da Luz Church is located in the plaza with the same name and it was concluded in 1845 according to date on the façade, and keeps relics from XVII and XVIII centuries, as well as the holy images and the altars made of cedro in baroque style. Besides the masses and religious parties for the locals, the church staircase is a place to rest after one climbs the slope arriving from the dock, or a seat to watch the movement of the N. Sra da Luz Plaza, the starting point to all the alleys and plazas of the town.
The Lighthouse of Morro de São Paulo was built in 1855 accordingpic_farol to the project and supervision of Engineer Carson, from the Fabric Factory of Valença. The building of the old factory is still there, and being the first factory built in Brazil, it represents another example of the importance of the region during the colonial period. The most relevant historic record comes from the D. Pedro II ‘s diary annotations, which describes the Lighthouse during the Real Family visit to the island in 1859. The existing overlook near the Lighthouse is part of the defensive set of the island. Almost hidden in the surrounding tropical vegetation, offers a panoramic view of the beaches, being one of the best places to understand the island curves and the tides.
A Fortaleza do Tapirandu – THE FORTRESS
Considered as one of the greatest defensive architeture sites of Brazil, the Forte de pic_forteMorro de São Paulo still conserves 678 m from its curtain of walls and ruins, today protected by the National Historical Patrimony.
The construction of the Fortress itself was initiated in 1630 under the orders of then General Governor Diogo Luiz of Oliveira, in order to protect the called “”barra falsa da Baía de Todos os Santos” strategic entrance to the Itaparica Channel and the Forte de Santo Antônio (current Farol da Barra) from the attack of enemies – and also to protect the Tinharé Channel, essential in the delivery of goods from the major centers (Boipeba, Cairu, Camamu and Itacaré) to supply the capital, Salvador.
In 1728 D. Vasco Fernandes Cesar of Menezes, the Conde of Sabugosa, initiated the project of renovation of the Old Fortress. The construction was concluded in 1730, adding the Forte da Ponta and the walls to the defensive set. The victory of Portugal over the French Almirant Villegaignon’s squad was one of the most remarkable episodes of the history of the Fortress and the colonial history of Brazil.
The Fortress is magical in the sunset. The old ruins seem not to remember any of the old explosions, but the ones of the little dolphins silhouettes in each dive against the sunset. To vastness of the sea mixes gradually to the colors of the heaven full of stars… and the calm waters mark the rhythm of a lazy melody under the palm trees in the salty breeze. This is the Forte de Morro de São Paulo.